Mar 9, 2011

Arise, Sir Jerry


I do not know much about our new Maori Governor General, Jerry Mataparae. Certainly the media coverage and general public response is very favourable. Mataparae is of Ngati Kahungungu and Ngati Tuwharetoa descent

I like this quote re Mataparae from former GG Sir Paul Reeves, a man I respect greatly:

“He's a humble man who is going to be very acceptable to everybody not simply has he displayed his professionalism, his skill as a soldier but I think he has the ability to listen, to learn and to move around and to be a force that invited people to the middle to meet each other, because that is where he will be. I think it’s a remarkably good appointment,”

If Sir Paul’s assessment is correct, I think we are in good hands. Without doubt Mataparae will bring a degree of mana and respect to the office of the GG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules:

1. Anonymous comments will be rejected. Please use your real name or a pseudonym/moniker/etc...
2. No personal abuse. Defamatory comments will be rejected.
3. I'll reject any comment that isn't in good taste.